Sunday, December 12, 2021

Apricot Goldmines

It's the most wonderful time of the year! Apricot cookie season!!

You might not know about the Mann family apricot cookies, but if you know, you know. They're small-town famous if you ask me. I've never known a cookie to bring two grown men together before. My brother and his co-worker once discovered their mutual connection to Aunt Laurie because of apricot cookies!


They're so good my Grandma turned them into a holiday side hustle when I was a kid and sold tins of them to friends and coworkers. She could only sell the pretty ones so the grandkids got to eat the ugly ones - fondly known now as the rejects. 

I've come to especially enjoy the rejects because every one is a little different. It might be crunchy, stuck to a buddy, too much apricot goop...it's always a delicious surprise. Plus, it reminds me of Grandma Mann and her need for perfection. 

These cookies are incredibly special because they are a terrible pain in the ass to make. Only Aunt Laurie has carried on the tradition. Until recently there was only one official cookie cutter and Aunt Laurie inherited it. She who has the cookie-cutter makes the cookies. 

If you ever receive an Apricot Goldmine somebody loves you. It's not easy to share such a rare and delicious treat. It's not uncommon for people to hide them from their spouses and children. 

I wonder who will be next in line for the cookie-cutter? It's a big job. I'd say it's probably 2nd to Santa himself. 








No comments:

Post a Comment